Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Hash Brown Happy Egg Nests (with Video)
Hash Brown Egg Nests are a delicious breakfast or brunch idea you can make ahead. They’re soft on the inside, and crispy golden on the outside. They’re great for a quick weekday breakfast, and also a go-to recipe to feed a holiday crowd. Plus video tutorial! #HappyHenHappyEgg #FreestFreeRange #AD
Servings: 12 servings
- 12 large Happy Eggs
- 20 oz shredded hash browns thawed or grated potato (see note)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- green onion minced, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
In a medium bowl, mix hash browns, 1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese and olive oil.
Divide hash brown mixture into muffin tin, using fingertips to press into the shape of each cup.
Bake until the edges have browned, about 12-15 minutes.
Crack one egg into each muffin cup. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon on top.
Lower heat to 350°F and bake 15 minutes more until the egg whites have set.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes.
Lift out of the pan by sliding a knife or offset spatula around the edges.
Garnish with optional green onion. Serve and enjoy!
- To parboil a potato, boil a medium baking potato for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can wet it, prick several times with a fork, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 5 minutes.
- If the hash browns are limp or soft, dry between sheets of paper towel to remove excess moisture before using to prevent getting a soggy crust.
- The eggs will keep cooking for one more minute out of the oven, so remove them when they still have a slight jiggle unless you prefer a solid yolk.
- To avoid flavors being too salty, use grated potato instead of hash browns and use reduced sodium bacon.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 192mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2.5mg