Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Tortilla Taco Casserole Recipe (+ Video)
This Taco Casserole recipe is loaded with tortillas, ground beef, corn, salsa and lots of shredded cheese, all baked in layers until bubbling and hot! It’s a fall and winter staple that’s full of crave-worthy Mexican flavors.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (I recommend using 90% lean ground beef, if yours has more fat, make sure to drain it after frying so your dish is not too greasy.)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning store-bought packet or homemade
- 3/4 cup salsa or canned diced tomatoes (You don’t need to drain the liquid.)
- 1 cup corn frozen or fresh
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I use the mix of cheddar and jack cheese, but you can use your favorite cheese that melts well.)
- 10-12 flour tortillas or corn tortillas, 6-8 inch size
- cooking spray
- toppings such as cilantro optional
Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Place a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with oil and add the ground beef.
Stir for 5-6 minutes until the beef is partly browned, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Strained out any accumulated fat.
Add in salsa, corn and taco seasoning. Stir for 2-3 minutes, cooking until the sauce thickens. Drain any excess liquid. (this will prevent the tortillas from becoming soggy.)
Place tortillas to cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish (You can break the tortillas to cover the gaps).
Top with half of the beef mixture. Then add 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
Repeat the above step (Add more tortillas, beef mixture and cheese).
Then add another layer of tortillas, and finish with remaining cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
Serve warm with desired toppings.
- To replace flour tortillas with tortilla chips, you’ll need to break them into smaller pieces for easier layering.
- You can cook the beef mixture ahead of time, and assemble right before baking.
- Make it Keto: Swap out tortillas for lettuce for a low-carb option.
- Nutrition estimate does not include toppings.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 702mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 685IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 306mg | Iron: 2mg