How to Steam Broccoli
Steamed Broccoli is a quick and easy side dish that is healthy and delicious. Learn how to steam broccoli so that it is bursting with flavor with bright green color.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large head broccoli 3/4 lb or 350 grams
- salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground
Add about an inch of water to a saucepan, bring to boil over high heat.
Meanwhile, clean your broccoli and cut the stem away from the crown. Slice the florets into 2-inch pieces.
Peel the team and cut crosswise into ½-inch thick slices.
When the water is boiling, place the broccoli florets in a steamer basket inside the pot.
Cover the steamer, reduce heat to medium and steam for 5-7 minutes.
Remove from heat as soon as you can pierce your broccoli stalk with a fork.
- Make sure not to overcook your broccoli. Start checking after 5 minutes as small florets should be fully cooked.
- Make sure that you add broccoli after the water is boiling.
- If you don’t have a steamer, you can still make this recipe using microwave method or boiling the broccoli
- To store steamed broccoli, place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It'll last for 3-4 days.
Calories: 28kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 268mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 75.9mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 0.6mg