Add to Collection
Go to Collections
How Long to Microwave a Potato
Learn how long to microwave a potato and get soft and tender potatoes every time. It's quick and easy plus much faster than oven-baking!
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 large russet potato see note
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion or minced chives
- salt and pepper to taste
Clean the potatoes under running water using a scrub brush. Trim away any blemishes.
Poke the potatoes 3-4 times about an inch deep using a small skewer, cake tester or fork. This important step helps steam to escape for even cooking.
Put the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and place in the microwave. Cook on full power for 10 to 12 minutes (see notes for other potatoes).
Poke the potatoes with a fork to check they are tender. If not, cook longer in 1 minute increments until done.
As the plate will be hot, use oven mitts to remove it from the oven. Similarly, use kitchen tongs to transfer the potatoes to serving plates.
Carefully cut the potato open with a knife and fluff with a fork as desired. Add optional butter, sour cream, green onion/chives, salt and pepper to serve.
- Potato: Baked potatoes are typically made from starchy varieties such as russets, Idahos or Yukon Golds. However, you can microwave other types and still get good results.
- How Long to Microwave a Baked Potato: For two large potatoes (>4 inches), cook for 14 to 16 minutes; for 4 medium potatoes (3-4 inches), cook for 10 to 12 minutes; for 8 baby potatoes (1-2 inches), cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Add several minutes extra for smaller microwaves (600-800 Watts) and subtract several minutes for powerful microwaves that are (1100-1200 Watts).
- Storage: Once fully cooled, cooked potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat them using the microwave, oven or stovetop.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 778mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 102IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg