Best Lime Pickle Recipe
This Lime Pickle recipe is a tangy and spicy condiment hailing from India where it’s also called nimbu ka achaar. This homemade version is easy to make and the fermentation is always worth the wait!
- 8 limes organic if possible (see note)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed oil or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds yellow or black mustard seeds
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and minced (1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin or cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander or coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder or adjust for desired spiciness
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
Using a sharp knife, cut each lime in half. Then cut the halves into quarters for a total of 8 wedges per lime.
Place the wedges into a medium bowl and sprinkle the salt on top.
Sprinkle with the salt. Then cover a place and set in a cool, dry place to ferment for about 2 days.
Have all the remaining ingredients ready along with sterilized glass jars (see note).
Place a medium skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once it’s shimmering hot, add the mustard seeds and wait until they start popping. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander and chilli powder and stir for 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
Add the lime pickle mixture, water, vinegar and brown sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared glass jars. Seal and invert for several minutes. Then set aside for one week to allow the flavor to develop before serving.
- Limes: Use organic limes to avoid reactions with pesticide residues during fermentation.
- Glass jars: I recommend using 12-oz mason jars with a tight-fitting lids. Running them through a normal dishwasher cycle will sterilize them sufficiently, or you can put them in a pot of boiling water fitted with a rack for 10 minutes.
- Lemon Pickle: You can substitute lemons for limes to make lemon pickle! Since lemons are larger, cut them into half-wedges and proceed with the recipe.
Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 887mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 188IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg