Smoked Chuck Roast
Delicious BBQ that's smoked low and slow to produce moist and tender meat that's fully of smokey, beefy flavors. Serve it sliced or pulled!
Servings: 10 people
- 3-6 pounds chuck roast square cut recommended, tied with Butcher’s twine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic or minced fresh garlic
Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Pat dry the meat with paper towels and then rub the seasonings evenly on all sides. (Optional: Wrap the meat and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight to penetrate into the meat for extra flavor.)
Soak the wood in water for 30 minutes (see note). Meanwhile, preheat the smoker to 225°F.
When the smoker is at temperature, add the soaked wood. Then place the chuck roast on the grill grate with the fat side facing up (if there is one). Insert thermometer probe if using (see note).
Close the lid and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 165°F for slicing or 205°F for pulling, anywhere from 3 to 8 hours depending on size. Check your smoker occasionally and add more wood as needed, adjusting vents to maintain temperature.
Remove the roast to a carving board to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or pulling.
- Chuck roast: When shopping, look for a thick, square cut tied with twine to hold its shape during smoking. It may be labeled as shoulder roast, arm roast, blade roast, pot roast, chuck roll, 7-bone or similar. You can substitute brisket when you can’t find chuck.
- Wood: I recommend using pecan, oak, apple or a combination.
- Temperature: I recommend using a dual-probe wireless thermometer to monitor the temperature of both the smoker and the meat throughout smoking.
- Sauce: If you’d like to serve it with au jus, place a disposable foil drip tray beneath the roast to catch the drippings during smoking.
- Leftovers: Use leftovers to make French dip sandwiches! They'll keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Serving: 6oz | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 613mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 221IU | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 4mg