Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
This Southern Baked Mac and Cheese is creamy, cheesy and perfectly seasoned. It satisfied all cravings for soul food! Serve as a side dish for any celebration or holiday feast.
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 pound elbow macaroni 3 cups dry or 8 cups cooked, regular or whole wheat pasta
- 24 oz evaporated milk 3 cups, or use fresh milk
- 3/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder (or a mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 8 oz cheddar cheese grated (2 cups)
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese grated (2 cups), or Havarti
- 4-8 oz Colby cheese grated (2 cups), or Velveeta
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese or smoked cheddar (see note), grated (2 cups)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch rectangular baking pan with butter and set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, half and half, eggs and seasonings. Then stir in the grated cheeses.
Drain the macaroni and add to the prepared pan. Pour the milk-cheese mixture on top and stir to distribute evenly.
Sprinkle the topping cheese evenly across the surface.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly. (If it's looking pale for any reason, raise the heat to 375°F for the final 15 minutes.)
Remove from the oven. Cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Cheeses: Grate the cheeses yourself, as pre-shredded doesn't melt as well. Note: some orange cheeses contain food dyes, but others use the natural coloring annatto, so check the label if you're concerned.
- Lighter Options: You can substitute whole wheat macaroni, skim evaporated milk and reduced fat cheeses. Note that the result will still be tasty although less creamy.
- Make Ahead: You can make mac and cheese up to 3 days ahead of time and reheat for 20 minutes in the oven. It also freezes for up to 3 months if wrapped tightly with foil plus plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn.
Serving: 6oz | Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 685mg | Potassium: 429mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 852IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 666mg | Iron: 1mg