Baked Sockeye Salmon
Delicious sockeye cooked until moist and flakey in the oven!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 ½ pound sockeye salmon fillets skin-on or skin-off
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- fresh parsley or dill (chopped)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Place the sockeye on a work surface. Rub the fish with olive oil on all sides. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
Put the salmon skin-side down on the prepared baking sheet and place 4 lemon slices on top.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until medium-rare. Check doneness by inserting a knife tip into the thickest section and twisting - the flesh should appear slightly translucent. You can also insert an instant-read thermometer and look for an internal temperature of 130°F (see note).
Remove from the oven. Remove the skin using a fish spatula if desired.
Sprinkle fresh herbs on top before serving.
- Sockeye has fewer bones than other salmon, but it’s good idea to run your fingers along the flesh to check. If you encounter any bones, just pull them out with fish tweezers.
- The temperature will rise to 140-145°F as sockeye continues cooking out of the oven.
- During baking the fish may exude a white substance, which is natural protein akin to egg white. If you find it unappetizing, sprinkling fresh herbs will help to cover.
- Grilled sockeye: Preheat the grill to 375-400°F and thoroughly oil the grates. Prepare the fish as above and place it skin-side up for 4 minutes with the lid open. Flip and cook for 4-5 minutes more with the lid closed until done.
- Make Ahead: Unfortunately sockeye does not reheat well due to its lean texture. If you must make it ahead, it's best to undercook it slightly and reheat for 5-7 minutes over low-medium heat in a skillet. Avoid using the microwave.
Serving: 6oz | Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 512mg | Potassium: 871mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 68IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg