Tomahawk Steak Recipe
Tomahawk Steak is a thick-cut rib eye with an extra-long bone for an impressive presentation! This popular cut is tender, juicy and perfect for a special occasion.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tomahawk steaks 1.5-2 inches thick (24-40 oz each including the bone)
- 2 tablespoons oil canola oil or refined olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons coarse salt or kosher salt
- 2-3 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
Remove the tomahawk steaks from the refrigerator 1-2 hours so they can reach room temperature. This will promote even cooking for the juiciest meat.
Position the oven rack so the meat will be 3-4 inches from the broiler. Then turn on the broiler to preheat at 450-550°F (230-288°C).
Pat dry the steaks with paper towels to remove excess moisture that could interfere with searing.
Rub the steak with oil on all sides. Then season with salt and pepper.
Put the steaks on a broiler pan and place in the oven.
Broil for 10 minutes. Then flip and broil for 10-15 minutes more. Check doneness by inserting an instant-read thermometer into the middle of the steak: 120°F is rare, 125°F is medium-rare, 130°F is medium and 135°F is medium-well.*
Remove the steaks from the oven to a carving board or serving platter. Cover with foil and let them rest for 5-10 minutes so the juices can redistribute throughout the meat.
Slice crosswise against the grain to serve.
- * Doneness: Avoid cooking a tomahawk to more than medium in order to get the most tender steak.
- Grilled Tomahawk Steak: Prepare the steak according to the instructions above. Then grill at 275°F (135ºC) for 30-40 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 100°F (38°C). Raise the heat to 450-500°F and sear for 2-3 minutes per side or until until your desired doneness is reached. Remove from the grill to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: One tomahawk ribeye yields two to three 8-oz servings depending on how thickly it's cut.
Serving: 8oz | Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 1281mg | Potassium: 621mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 4mg