Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Learn how to easily boil potatoes, whether you’re using them for salads, soups, casseroles or other dishes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1-2 pounds boiling potatoes waxy or all-purpose potatoes*
- 2 teaspoons salt optional
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- fresh parsley minced - optional
Wash and scrub the potatoes gently under running water to remove any surface debris. Optionally you can cut the potatoes into chunks for faster cooking.
Put the potatoes in a medium pot or saucepan. Add the salt and enough cold water to cover by 1-inch. (Note: starting with cold water helps the potatoes to cook more evenly.)
Place on high heat and bring to a boil.
Lower heat to medium and boil uncovered for 12-30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
Check doneness by inserting a fork or skewer. The center of the potato will be fork-tender with a pear-like texture when done.
Drain the potatoes. Serve with optional butter and parsley, or use as called for in recipes.
- *Waxy or all-purpose potato varieties include Yukon Gold, Red Gold, Round White, Round Red (Red Bliss) and Fingerling among others.
- Use smaller potatoes for faster cooking, or larger potatoes when you need quantity for recipes such as mashed potatoes.
- Should you peel potatoes before boiling? Peeling is optional and does not affect boiling time. Note: the skin contains a significant amount of a potato’s nutrition.
- Save some boiling liquid to flavor gravy or mashed potatoes with no added fat.
- Let whole potatoes cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting for the best texture and to avoid burning your fingertips. An ice-water bath will help speed this process.
- Boiled potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days once fully cooled. For longer-term storage, place the cooled potatoes in a resealable plastic bag for up to 3 months.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 166mg | Potassium: 516mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 44IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg