Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Mac and Cheese Bread Bowl
This Mac and Cheese Bread Bowl is a copycat of the menu item at Panera Bread. It's a fabulous way to serve mac and cheese for a satisfying lunch or dinner idea!
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 round bread loaves 6-8 inch size
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese mild or medium recommended
- 3/4 cup frozen broccoli florets see note
- red pepper flakes
Make the bread bowl by slicing off the top with a serrated knife. Remove the insides of the bread with your fingers and set aside.
In a medium microwaveable bowl, add pasta, water and salt. Microwave for 5 minutes on full power to start the cooking process. Then continue in 2 minute intervals until al dente.
Drain excess water from the bowl using a sieve if needed. Mix in the milk, garlic powder, cheese and optional broccoli. Then microwave for 1 minute or until creamy.
Spoon the macaroni and cheese into the bread bowl. Top with optional red pepper flakes before serving.
- Broccoli: If using fresh broccoli florets, they'll need more cooking time. Add to the final two minutes to cook with the pasta.
- Make Ahead: You can make the mac and cheese up to 3 days ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to serve, reheat in the microwave and spoon into the bread bowl.
- Note: nutrition data does not include the bread bowl
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 485kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 1160mg | Potassium: 457mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 542IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 488mg | Iron: 2mg