Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Cherry Clafoutis Recipe
Cherry clafoutis is a classic French dessert of fresh cherries baked in a dense, flan-like batter.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 1/2 cups fresh cherries stemmed and pitted
- unsalted butter to grease the baking dish
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- powdered sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate and sprinkle granulated sugar evenly on top.
Wash and dry the cherries. Then remove the stems.
Remove the pits one-by-one. Use a cherry pitter or place onto the mouth of an empty beer or wine bottle and push out each pit using a chopstick.
Place the cherries in the prepared pan. They should fit snugly into a single layer.
In a medium bowl or a blender, beat the eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extract just until smooth.
Mix in the melted butter. Then mix in the flour until smooth. Finally mix in the milk.
Pour the batter over the cherries in the pan.
Bake 40-45 minutes or until puffy and golden on the edges.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes. This is important to let it firm up.
Dust with powdered sugar and cut into wedges to serve.
- If you don't have cherries, you can use blueberries, pears, sliced peaches, sliced apples, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, sliced apricots or plums.
- To make a gluten free clafoutis, substitute gluten-free flour 1:1 for all-purpose flour.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 59mg | Potassium: 288mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 400IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 1mg