Sofrito is an aromatic sauce that’s mild and sweet with a little kick. It’s a popular condiment for many Puerto Rican dishes and other Spanish recipes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Servings: 80 tablespoons
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 3 large green bell peppers
- 10 aji dulce peppers or 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic peeled
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- ½ bunch of recao or additional 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Clean and prepare all vegetables: remove seeds from bell peppers, peel onions and cut them into small pieces.
In a blender or food processor, blend onions, green bell peppers, red bell peppers (or aji dulce), tomatoes and garlic.
Add cilantro, recao, salt and pepper. Blend until finely minced.
Transfer to an airtight container or jar if not using immediately. Good for up to 10 days if kept refrigerated.
- Increase garlic if you would like a spicier sauce or cut in half for a mild flavor.
- Recao can be substituted for additional cilantro.
- This recipe makes about 5 cups of sofrito.
Calories: 7kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 510IU | Vitamin C: 23.2mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 0.1mg