Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Sofrito is an aromatic sauce that’s mild and sweet with a little kick. It’s a popular condiment for many Puerto Rican dishes and other Spanish recipes.
Servings: 80 servings
- 2 medium onions yellow or white
- 3 green bell peppers
- 10 aji dulce peppers or 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 head garlic peeled
- 1 large bunch cilantro
- ½ bunch recao or additional 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Clean and prepare all vegetables: remove seeds from bell peppers, peel onions and cut into pieces.
To a blender or food processor, add onions, green bell peppers, red bell peppers (or aji dulce), tomatoes and garlic.
Blend until the ingredients form a coarse mixture.
Add cilantro, recao, salt and pepper. Blend again until finely minced.
Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container or jar for later use. Good for up to 10 days if kept refrigerated.
- Recipe yield: 5 cups of sofrito (abut forty 2-tablespoon servings)
- Increase garlic if you would like a spicier sauce or cut in half for a mild flavor.
- Recao can be substituted for additional cilantro.
Serving: 2tbsp | Calories: 8kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 52mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg