Add to Collection
Go to Collections
How to Broil Steak
Broil steak the right way and enjoy tender and juicy results with any cut!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2-4 steaks see note
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp coarse salt
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
Pat dry steaks with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
Rub steaks with olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a broiler pan (see note).
Position oven rack so that the steaks will be 3-4 inches from the heating element.
Preheat oven on "broil" setting at the maximum temperature for at least 5 minutes (see note).
Place the steaks in the oven.
Broil steaks for 3-12 minutes per side (see note). Keep the oven door closed or ajar according to the manufacturer's directions.
Using tongs, flip the steaks and broil for 3-12 minutes more. Check doneness using an instant-read thermometer.
Remove steaks to a serving platter and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes to allow juices to recede into the meat.
Slice the meat crosswise against the grain. Serve au naturel or with steak sauce.
- Broil flank steak, sirloin steak, ribeye steak, or other cuts. Steaks should be 3/4 - 1 1/2 inches (2-4 cm) thick.
- The oven's broil steak temperature setting will typically be 450-550°F (232-288°C).
- Broil steak without cast iron skillet if possible, as accumulated fat close to the heating element can ignite.
- Do not pierce the steak with a fork during cooking, as juices will escape and dry out the meat.
- Check doneness by inserting an instant-read thermometer into the middle of the steak:
Note: the temperature will rise an additional 5°F (3°C) during resting.
- Rare: 125°F (52°C)
- Medium rare: 130°F (54°C)
- Medium: 140°F (60°C)
- Medium-well: 150°F (66°C)
Calories: 502kcal | Protein: 45g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 1280mg | Potassium: 607mg | Vitamin A: 35IU | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 3.9mg