Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Steak Sandwich is a hearty and flavorful sandwich loaded with tender and thinly-sliced steak, green vegetables, caramelized onions and mustard, along with toasted buns
Prep Time15 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 ½ pound sirloin steak
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions peeled and sliced
- 4 ounces arugula or other greens
- 4 Ciabatta bread
Start by seasoning the steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat up a large cast iron skillet over high heat for 1 minute.
Add 1 tablespoon oil and wait until it’s shimmering before adding the steak.
Fry for 2 minutes and then flip over. Fry on the other side for 3 more minutes until the steak mostly browned on the outside and rare in the middle.
Remove steak to a cooling rack and let rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onions and cook for about 10 minutes, until deep golden and softened, stirring frequently. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Lightly butter the bread and toast until golden.
Remove from oven and top the bottom half of bread with arugula and caramelized onions.
Place a layer of the thin steak slices on top, and spread mustard on top.
Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
Cover the sandwiches with the top half of the bread.
- Let the steak rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking for the best results
- Make sure to let the steak rest for about 5 minutes so that the juice can redistribute before cutting.
- Cut the steak against the grain into thin slices.
- To caramelize onions properly, make sure to have a single layer of onion slices in the pan so they don’t steam. The onions should be very soft with golden brown color, yet not mushy.
Calories: 1360kcal | Carbohydrates: 219g | Protein: 77g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 2312mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 675IU | Vitamin C: 10.4mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 3.4mg