Add to Collection
Go to Collections
T-Bone Steak Recipe (with Video)
T-bone Steak seared to caramelized perfection on the outside and juicy in the middle. It’s full of flavor with no marinating required!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 1/2 pounds T-bone steak about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil**
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- fresh rosemary optional
Remove the steak from refrigerator 30-60 minutes before cooking, so they can reach room temperature for even cooking.
Position the oven rack in the middle and preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
Place a large cast-iron skillet over high heat and allow to heat for 5 minutes until very hot. (You can also place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.)
Remove any bits of bone and pat dry the steak with paper towels to remove excess moisture that could interfere with searing.
Rub on all sides with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and swirl to coat.
Carefully place the steak in the pan using kitchen tongs, laying them away from you to avoid splatter.
Sear the first side for 2 minutes.
Flip using kitchen tongs and sear the other side for 2 minutes.
Add garlic, butter and rosemary and then immediately transfer the pan to the oven.
Bake for 2-3 minutes without flipping for medium-rare steaks (130°F/54°C), checking doneness by inserting an instant-read meat thermometer (see recipe notes for other donenesses***).
Remove steak to a plate or cutting board covered with aluminum foil to rest for 5 minutes so the juices can retreat back into the meat.
To serve, cut the meat away from the bone and slice across the grain into strips.
- *T-bone steaks that are at least 1-inch (2.5cm) thick are juicier and less likely to be overcooked. The instructions above are for a 1-inch thick t-bone. Add 2-3 minutes of baking time for every additional ½ inch.
- ** Regular refined olive oil is recommended, as it has a higher smoke point than extra virgin olive oil and will be less likely to burn.
- ***The large strip section cooks more slowly and the area next to the bone will be rarer. Therefore, insert the thermometer into the strip section about 1-inch from the bone: 120°F/49°C is rare, 130°F/54°C is medium-rare, 140°F/60°C is medium, 150°F/66°C is medium-well and 160°F/71°C is well-done.
- To grill T-bone steak: Heat your grill to 400°F/204°C and oil the grates. Then grill for 1 minute on the first side. Flip and sear 1 minutes on the second side. Flip every minute until reaching the desired doneness.
- Leftover t-bone steak will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and can be reheated for 2-3 minutes in a skillet. It’s also delicious in Steak Sandwiches, Steak Tacos and Steak Salad.
Serving: 6oz | Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 383mg | Potassium: 526mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 44IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 3mg