Szechuan Chicken is flavorful and spicy sizzling chicken made within 20 minutes!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 tbsp soy sauce low-sodium recommended
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar or other cooking wine
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- ½ cup canola oil I used peanut oil
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 4-40 chili peppers cayenne peppers
- ½ tsp salt or more or less to taste
Serving – optional
- Steamed white rice
- green onions minced
- sesame seeds
In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine and cornstarch until combined.
Mix in the chicken pieces and reserve for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients.
Set aside a paper-towel lined plate.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and when shimmering hot, add the chicken.
Fry for 1-2 minutes until golden and crispy, turning occasionally using a slotted spoon.
Remove chicken to a prepared plate and reduce heat to medium.
Remove excess oil from the skillet and then add in garlic, ginger, Szechuan peppercorns and dried chilis.
Sauté for one minute until fragrant and add in the cooked chicken.
Toss until combined and remove from heat.
Garnish with optional minced green onion. Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy!
- If you wish to add vegetables, you can sauté chunks of bell peppers along with the garlic and ginger.
- You can cook Szechuan chicken ahead of time and then reheat in a skillet or microwave for 4-5 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- If you are unable to get Szechuan peppercorns, try a 1:1 substitution of coriander seeds instead.
- Using a large nonstick skillet will give enough room to fry the chicken. Complete in several batches if you have a smaller skillet.
Calories: 640kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 56g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 166mg | Sodium: 532mg | Potassium: 379mg | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1.4mg