Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Rib Eye Steak Recipe
Pan Seared Rib Eye Steak is unparalleled with its beautiful marbling and bold flavors. Rib eyes are easy to make in 20 minutes for a quick weeknight dinner or a festive occasion, so skip the steakhouse and make your own delicious steak!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Resting Time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 rib eye steaks 1-2 inches thick
- 1 tsp coarse salt (6 g)
- 1 tsp black pepper (2 g) or to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 ml
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter 14 g
- fresh rosemary or thyme garnish - optional
Remove steaks from the refrigerator 30 minutes ahead in order to reach room temperature for even cooking. Prepare the rest of your meal in the meantime.
When your steak has reached room temperature, pat dry with paper towels. This step will remove excess moisture in order to get the best sear possible.
Sprinkle salt and pepper onto both sides of the steak, rubbing in with your hands.
Turn on your ventilation/exhaust fan and place a cast iron skillet over high heat.
When the pan is hot, add the oil and swirl around to coat the pan.
Add the steaks and cook for 3-6 minutes according to desired doneness (see details above), spooning the juices on top from time to time to baste the meat.
Flip the steaks and add the butter on top along with the optional fresh herbs.
Cook 3-6 minutes more using an instant-read thermometer to check doneness.
Remove to a plate to rest for 5 minutes, covering with foil or another plate. This important step lets the juices to retreat back into the meat for the best texture.
Cut crosswise against the grain to serve. Enjoy!
- Thick cut rib eyes are the juiciest. Try to buy ones that are 1 ¼ - 1 ½ inches (3 – 4 cm) thick, or simply ask your meat counter to cut them for you.
- Season the steaks with salt to help tenderize the meat during cooking. Fresh rosemary and thyme are great to add halfway through (so they don't char).
- Use a hot skillet to get a robust sear and caramelization. A large 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat is ideal.
- Note that the internal temperature will keep rising another 5°F (3°C) while resting.
Serving: 8oz | Calories: 529kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 146mg | Sodium: 409mg | Potassium: 608mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 123IU | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 4mg