Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Best Ever Beef Stew
This beef stew is hearty comfort food at its best! Tender and melt-in-your-mouth beef is simmered in a rich and divine sauce with carrots, onions, and potatoes.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp salt see note
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- fresh parsley minced - optional
Preheat oven to 325°F. Set aside a 5-7 quart heavy ovenproof pot.
Pat dry the beef with paper towels, and cut into 2-inch cubes.
Place pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp olive oil and enough beef to fit in a single layer with some space in between.
Let the meat brown for 2 minutes, then turn the pieces to brown for another 2 minutes. Remove to a plate, and repeat with remaining oil and beef.
Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes using a wooden spoon and scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the browned beef, red wine, broth, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, flour, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Cover and place in the middle of the preheated oven to braise for 2 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened.
Remove the pot from the oven and add the potatoes and carrots. Return to the oven for 30 minutes more.
Garnish with optional parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- You may need to reduce the amount of salt if using salted beef broth.
- Storage: Let the beef stew cool to room temperature before placing it in an airtight container. It can last up to 4 days when stored in the fridge.
- Freezing: Place the beef stew in an airtight container or ziptop bag, and it will freeze well for up to 3 months.
Calories: 493kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 996mg | Potassium: 1258mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4610IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 5.2mg