Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
Philly cheesesteak recipe made with thinly sliced rib-eye beef and sautéed onions, topped with ooey, gooey, melted cheese, and served on a soft yet crusty hoagie roll!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 1 1/2 pound ribeye steak (680g) thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30ml) divided
- 8 slices provolone cheese or Cheez Whiz, or American cheese (160g)
- 1 large yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced thin, optional
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (5ml) optional
- salt and pepper to taste I used ½ teaspoon (3g) salt and ½ teaspoon (1.6g) pepper
(Optional) Freeze the steak for about 45-60 minutes first to make it easier to slice thinly.
Cook the vegetables: Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle to medium-high heat.
Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil. When the oil is hot, add sliced onions and green pepper.
Sauté for 8-10 minutes until caramelized. Remove to a plate and reserve.
Cook the beef: Slice the steak into 1/8-inch (0.3cm) thick pieces. Cut against the grain for easier chewing.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil (15ml) followed by the sliced beef. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until no longer pink. To create shreddy layers, you can pull the thinly shaved beef apart during cooking to tenderize and brown the meat (watch the video above for visual instructions).
Add sautéed onions and green peppers back to the pan. Mix with the steak.
Season with salt, pepper, and optional Worchestershire sauce.
Divide the mixture into 4 oval-shaped portions in the pan.
Add cheese: Reduce heat to medium-low and add the cheese on top of each portion.
Assemble the sandwich: When the cheese is half melted, cut open the hoagie rolls, and place each on top of the cheese. Let it warm up slightly (1-2 minutes) and flip the whole thing over using a large spatula.
- Make it Keto: Omit the bread and serve the steak and cheese on lettuce leaves.
- DO NOT toast the rolls as it will make the bread too crunchy.
- Both bone-in and boneless rib eye steak work well for this recipe. For a more budget-friendly option, you can use sirloin steak or round eye steak. Look for cuts of meat with more marbling.
- Both Cheez whiz and American cheese are yellow cheese. Provolone is white. The photos in this posts are philly cheesesteak made with provolone cheese.
Calories: 688kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 903mg | Potassium: 798mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 35.7mg | Calcium: 495mg | Iron: 14mg