Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Bang Bang Shrimp
This copycat Bang Bang Shrimp is mouthwateringly delicious and perfect for a party or just some comfort food.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 sevings
- 1 pound raw shrimp 21-25 size, peeled, de-veined and thawed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- canola oil for frying
- minced chives optional for garnish
In a medium bowl, add thawed shrimp and buttermilk. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix sweet chili sauce, Sriracha and mayonnaise together and set aside.
Add 2 inches of oil to a deep fryer, saucepan or small skillet and heat to 375°F. Set aside a wire cooling rack.
In a soup bowl, mix together cornstarch, breadcrumbs and baking soda with a fork.
Remove shrimp from the buttermilk and dredge one-by-one in the cornstarch mixture until coated.
Shake off the excess cornstarch and carefully drop 3-4 shrimp into the hot oil.
Fry about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown (see note) and then remove with slotted spoon to prepared cooling rack. Repeat for remaining shrimp.
Place shrimp on a serving plate and drizzle Bang Bang sauce on top. Serve and enjoy!
- Soak the thawed shrimp in buttermilk for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. This is an important technique that helps to reduce the fishy flavor and make the coating stay on the shrimp while frying.
- Make sure to bring the oil to 375°F and work in batches. Avoid overcooking the shrimp, which will make them chewy.
- The frying time can vary depending on the size of the shrimp, the temperature of the oil and other factors. It's best to test one shrimp, remove when golden and check the texture. Then you can adjust if needed before doing the rest.
- When the shrimp is golden brown, remove them with a slotted spoon to a wire rack. I find cooling rack works better as it keeps the shrimp from getting soggy vs. placing them directly onto paper towels.
Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 300mg | Sodium: 1101mg | Potassium: 171mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 5.5mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 2.5mg