Garlic Beef Lo Mein
This garlic beef lo mein is an easy weeknight dinner featuring tender strips of beef with colorful vegetables and noodles in a delicious sauce. It's ready in just 20 minutes, faster than takeout!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz lo mein noodles or spaghetti
- 8 oz flank steak or another cut (see note), sliced 1/4" thick against the grain
- 1 tbsp soy sauce light
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional garnish
Prepare the noodles according to the package directions (see note).
Cut flank steak into thin strips, about 2 x 1/4 inch each (5 cm x 1/2 cm).
In a medium bowl, mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch and 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
Toss the beef strips in the soy sauce mixture and marinate for 10 minutes to tenderize (you can skip this step if in a rush).
In a medium bowl, mix 2 tbsp soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and ginger. Reserve.
Place a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
When the oil is hot, add the beef strips and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until the beef is no longer pink.
Add the minced garlic, sliced carrots and broccoli. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add lo mein to the beef/vegetable mixture and toss with the reserved lo mein sauce and sesame oil.
Garnish with optional sesame seeds and serve immediately.
- Cuts such as flank steak, sirloin, rib eye work well. You may want to freeze the meat for 30 minutes first to make it easier to cut into uniform strips.
- Use a quality light soy sauce such as Kikkoman, San-J or Pearl River Bridge. For added flavor, mix 1 tbsp light soy sauce with 1 tbsp dark soy sauce.
- Dried lo mein noodles should be boiled, while refrigerated noodles can just be warmed in hot water.
Serving: 150g | Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 626mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 2975IU | Vitamin C: 62.4mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2.6mg