Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Garlic Beef Lo Mein
This garlic beef lo mein is an easy weeknight dinner featuring tender strips of beef with colorful vegetables and noodles in a delicious sauce. It's ready in just 20 minutes, faster than takeout!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz lo mein noodles or spaghetti
- 8 oz flank steak or another cut (see note), sliced 1/4" thick against the grain
- 1 tbsp soy sauce light
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional garnish
Prepare the noodles according to the package directions (see note).
Cut flank steak into thin strips, about 2 x 1/4 inch each (5 cm x 1/2 cm).
In a medium bowl, mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch and 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
Toss the beef strips in the soy sauce mixture and marinate for 10 minutes to tenderize (you can skip this step if in a rush).
In a medium bowl, mix 2 tbsp soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and ginger. Reserve.
Place a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
When the oil is hot, add the beef strips and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until the beef is no longer pink.
Add the minced garlic, sliced carrots and broccoli. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add lo mein to the beef/vegetable mixture and toss with the reserved lo mein sauce and sesame oil.
Garnish with optional sesame seeds and serve immediately.
- Cuts such as flank steak, sirloin, rib eye work well. You may want to freeze the meat for 30 minutes first to make it easier to cut into uniform strips.
- Use a quality light soy sauce such as Kikkoman, San-J or Pearl River Bridge. For added flavor, mix 1 tbsp light soy sauce with 1 tbsp dark soy sauce.
- Dried lo mein noodles should be boiled, while refrigerated noodles can just be warmed in hot water.
Serving: 150g | Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 626mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 2975IU | Vitamin C: 62.4mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2.6mg