Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Peppermint Bark Recipe (+Video)
This Peppermint Bark has irresistible layers of dark and white chocolate topped with crushed candy cane on top.
Prep Time20 mins
Resting Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 16 servings
- 16 oz semisweet baking chocolate chopped (454 grams)
- 16 oz white baking chocolate chopped (454 grams)
- 6 candy canes
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint oil 5-7 drops, or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (divided)*
- 8 Oreo cookies crumbled
Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Optional: Crumble the oreos into small pieces with your fingers and set aside.
Add the semisweet dark chocolate and the peppermint oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second intervals until fully melted, stirring each time (about 3-4 minutes total).**
Pour the chocolate onto the middle of the prepared baking sheet. Spread with a spatula to about ¼-inch (1/2 cm) thick. If you're using the crumbled oreos, sprinkle them evenly on top.
Chill for 15 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Place the candy canes into a ziptop bag. Seal and pound lightly with a rolling pin to make small chunks (but don't pulverize completely). Set aside.
Place the white chocolate in a medium-sized bowl. Use the same method above to microwave until melted.**
Remove the baking sheet from the fridge. Pour the white chocolate evenly across the semisweet chocolate, spreading with a spatula to cover. Then sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top.
Let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour or more until completely solid. If you're in a hurry, you can place it in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes, and then let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes before proceeding.
Use the parchment to lift the bark out of the baking sheet and onto a cutting board. Using plastic wrap or rubber gloves, hold the bark with your fingers and snap into pieces. You can also use a large, sharp knife to cut it into pieces of desired size.
- * When using peppermint extract, there’s always some risk of the chocolate seizing. Therefore, divide the ½ teaspoon into two amounts, adding ¼ teaspoon in the dark chocolate and ¼ teaspoon in the white chocolate.
** Be careful not to overheat the chocolate by limiting to 20 second intervals and stirring each time. Once it's mostly melted, stop microwaving and let the residual heat melt the rest, stirring a few last times until smooth.
- Storing peppermint bark: You can store bark in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. For longer periods, wrap it tightly in foil or plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months.
Serving: 2oz | Calories: 365.39kcal | Carbohydrates: 41.03g | Protein: 3.74g | Fat: 21.15g | Saturated Fat: 12.13g | Cholesterol: 7.65mg | Sodium: 55.95mg | Potassium: 254.72mg | Fiber: 2.49g | Sugar: 33.52g | Vitamin A: 22.68IU | Vitamin C: 0.14mg | Calcium: 75.31mg | Iron: 2.38mg