Ham and Potato Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Ham and Potato Casserole has layers of ham, potatoes and cheese with an au gratin crust on top. Baked in the oven in a cast iron skillet, it’s a hearty and satisfying meal the whole family will love!
This casserole is one of my favorite comfort foods, and it’s a great way to use up leftover ham after a feast. Adults and kids alike will appreciate its creamy, stick-to-your-ribs flavors!
We made it with a cast iron skillet, but you can just as easily use a square 2-quart baking dish. You can serve it for dinner or make it for a party or potluck!
How to Make a Ham and Potato Casserole
This recipe is easy enough to make. The most time-consuming part is slicing the potatoes, so use a mandoline if you have one, or just a sharp knife and a cutting board.
Once the potatoes are ready, proceed to add layers of potatoes, ham and sliced cheese to a greased skillet or baking dish. Repeat until the skillet is filled up. Then top with minced parsley and shredded cheese for the au gratin crust.
The last step before baking is pouring an eggs and cream mixture over the casserole, which will make it nice and creamy. Now, just bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly and you’re done!
Watch Recipe Video:
This short tutorial shows you how to make a ham and potato casserole:
What to Serve with Ham and Potato Casserole
While this casserole is a fabulous meal on its own, it also goes well with a side salad or vegetable such as steamed broccoli or carrots.
More casserole recipes:
View all casseroles
Skillet Ham & Potato Casserole
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 10 slices ham, or 2 cups chunks of leftover ham
- 10 slices swiss cheese, or cheddar
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese, or mozzarella
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an ovenproof skillet.
- Peel the potatoes and slice to about 1/8-inch thickness using a mandolin or chef's knife.
- Add a single layer of potatoes to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Then add a single layer of sliced ham followed by slicing cheese.
- Repeat with a layers of potatoes, ham and then cheese to fill up the skillet, finishing with the potatoes. Top with the minced parsley and shredded cheese (which will create the au gratin crust in the oven).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream. Pour evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Place the skillet in the oven to bake until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead: You can make this recipe up to three days ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Alternatively, it freezes well tightly-wrapped for up to 3 months.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.